I’m copying my client’s diet: the experiment! Day 3/7

I hope everyone is well! Here’s how my day went yesterday, Friday 28/07.

4:5am – I’ve slept well but I wake up for no apparent reason. I try to go back to sleep because I don’t have to be up till 6:15/6:30. I’m wide awake. Shit. Today is going to be hard.

6:10am – Still in bed. I don’t know when Tina is going to wake up, so I’m slightly worried for this morning. I have two clients from 8:30-10:30am and I’m hoping she has a coffee before I go in as then I won’t be able to get one until after my sessions.

8:30am – I start training my first client and to my amusement learn that she’s been watching my stories with her husband, who feels very sorry for me. (Three clients so far have told me they’re watching with their husbands and everybody’s reaction is that they want to feed me. I think it’s hilarious and also very sweet.)

9:40am – I read a text from Tina and she’s notified me she’ll be getting coffee in an hour, just in time for my client sessions to be finished. She’s asking me if I also want any food, which I find super cute and it makes me smile. In fear of affecting her choices too much I tell her I don’t mind as long as she eats after noon.

11:30am – I’ve had my coffee and it gets my bowels moving. I finally go #2 for the first time since Wednesday evening.

12:15pm – I start my training session. My usual walking lunges annoy me today, but I do them anyway. Leg press next because I feel like my usual glute bridges would be too much. After a few sets on the leg press and wanting to give up, I suddenly switch into my challenge mode as I want to find out how weak I actually am. If I wasn’t doing this experiment I would probably walk out of the gym at this point.

12:40 – I’ve managed two sets of 5 reps on 240kg and 3 reps (surprisingly) on 280kg. My max is 350kgx5 and the last time I went heavy, I think I got 320×5. Compare that to 240kgx5 and you’ll see what no carbs are doing to me.

1:10pm – I’m demotivated and ready to leave the gym. I feel self conscious because I’m weaker than normal and I feel like one of those girls who dress up, show up but not do much work. I feel like everybody is looking at me although they probably couldn’t care less about a girl in a pink top struggling with leg training and posting on Instagram every two minutes. I’ve given up counting my reps as I don’t care, I just want this to be over with.

1:16pm – Tina has text me – it’s like she can sense my desperation! She’s having a ham and cheese toastie in Costa accompanied by another Americano. I declare my love for Tina. In the photo I can also see a donut shaped chocolate biscuit, but, alas, Tina tells me that’s for her mother. Oh fate, why do you mock me so?

1:50pm – I’ve allowed myself to take my time getting showered and changed because I know food is just around the corner. Literally. The gym cafe is around the corner from the changing rooms. I skip the protein shake as it won’t be necessary.

2:10pm – food arrives and I am looking at my first bit of starchy carbs in these two days. Who would have thought one could feel emotional at the sight of a ham and cheese toastie.  I enjoy every bite and I know today is going to be a good day after all. I also down another soy Americano. I would normally never have a coffee after training, so I’m hoping my food soaks up a bit of that caffeine.

2:30pm – Silver is struggling to finish his meal and wants to offer me a bite as he normally does. I refuse with a smile and remind him I’m not allowed. He laughs and says: “Oh yeah, I forgot.” and adds how he can’t wait for my experiment to be over. (Side note: I don’t force Silver to finish his meals as children’s appetites are self regulating. They eat more and they eat less but they always eat as much as they need. By teaching him it’s ok to leave food left he’ll always be able to stop eating when full.)

4pm – we’re heading home and I suddenly realise I’m not longer manicly obsessing with every possible food. The realisation makes me smile and feel quite smug for some reason. I still feel a bit shaky from the two coffees I’ve had within a few hours of each other, so I try to walk and move slowly not to get my heart rate up too much.

5pm – I prepare for the evening and buy a white Zinfandel from the shop as I know Tina will be going out for a meal and have some red wine with it. I really don’t like red wine so hence the rosè.

5:45 – I get a bit sleepy suddenly and try to have a nap. I’ve forgotten to put my phone on silent so an incoming text shocks me up just as I’m about to fall asleep. Oh well.

7pm – still in bed, I put in a takeaway order for both Silver and myself. I’ve ordered a small chicken shish with cheesy chips. I’ve also bought chorizo to have with my chicken. Tina’s meal is going to be a chicken and chorizo skewer and chips with halloumi and veg. Excited is not the word.

7:28pm – I receive a text that my food is on the way and get out of bed. One minute later I receive a text from Tina that she says having her glass of red. Time to open the Zinfandel. As I normally don’t drink, I feel like a naughty teenager who’s up to no good. It feels weird posting about it on Instagram but it’s all in the sake of the experiment!

7:40pm – food arrives. I get it all plated nicely and give myself a bit of time before I start eating just to make sure I’m not too early.

8:15pm – I feel full and perhaps a bit uncomfortable. The uncomfortable feeling isn’t from overeating but more from eating itself as the food seems to just sit in my stomach. I wish I could eat more, but I then finish my glass of wine and actually feel ok. I’m surprised but grateful as just a few moments ago I would have loved to eat some of Silver’s pizza and cake too. We are watching Flushed Away.

10pm – movie is finished and it’s time for bed. I notice my stomach making a lot of noise still trying to digest the food I had earlier. This is something that I don’t recall from my normal diet days (it seems so long ago now), so I assume the big meal has put a strain on the digestive system. I have just consumed over 2/3 of the day’s calories. Regardless, I feel good, I feel full and I feel more like myself for the first time in the last three days.

CALORIES: Adding up today’s calories was much harder as it always is when getting takeaway or eating at a restaurant. Even if they have a calorie and/or macronutrients profile available, we must always remember that it’s still an estimate to an extent.

LUNCH: The toastie I had at Virgin said 252kcal, although seeing the size of the bread I immediately knew that wasn’t accurate. Also, you get a choice of a pitta, white or brown bread or a panini. They’re all very different in calories. So I put the toastie down as 320kcal.

DINNER: I had to estimate the calories for everything as a kebab place might not even know what a macronutrient is and no one cares about calories there. 😄

Wine: about 6-7oz – 195kcal;

Chorizo, 3 small sausages: 204kcal;

Grated cabbage, slice of tomato and cucumber: ~30kcal;

Small chicken shish, around 100g: ~260kcal;

Cheesy chips: ~380kcal;

Garlic sauce: ~95kcal.

TOTAL: The day’s total for me was 1576kcal. This doesn’t sound half as bad until you realise that my dinner accounted for 1164kcal of that. This is too much for one meal after such low food intake over a few days and most of it will be stored as bodyfat, especially since I had alcohol with my meal. Macronutrient counting has pretty much gone out the window today but you can see I’ve had a lot of carbs and fat, some protein and little to no vegetables.

3/7 done.