Behold the Courgette Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!
I encourage my clients to follow my recipes to help them get to their fitness and weight loss goals. And I am very aware how few dessert recipes there are. So it was time to add another fantastic recipe to the collection! 😋
This one I found online and followed it almost to a T just to see how it turns out before I give it my own twist. And it was lovely! So nice even that Silver ended up eating most of it. The fact that he didn’t know there was courgette in there definitely helped. He loves vegetables but not in his dessert. 😂
Although this loaf has 2 cups of grated courgette in it, there is still 1,5 cups of flour and I want to bring that amount down to a minimum. So I’m going to adjust the quantities, ie mainly increase the amount of banana and reduce the flour. Let it be noted I didn’t use any honey and I used sunflower oil instead of coconut oil. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and unless you love the flavour (I’m not massively keen on it myself), there’s no real reason why you should put it everywhere. It was a great marketing stunt to hype up its healthy qualities a few years back and to get people using it on everything starting from their teeth to their door hinges. 🤣 But that’s another story!
Oh and chocolate chips aren’t usually something I would add to a healthy recipe, so I’m going to make sure I remake this into an even healthier loaf with better macros but with all the flavour! Because with The Amazon you can have your cake and eat it too! 😍
This is the recipe I used:
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled courgette (about 1 small/medium courgette)
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 medium/large)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil (any oil with no strong flavour)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1,5 cups all purpose flour
- chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a loaf tin or a muffin tin if you’re making muffins.
- Grate the courgette, then thoroughly squeeze it with a paper towel to remove as much excess water as possible. Repeat as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl beat or whisk together banana, honey, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the eggs and beat again until combined.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over the top of the batter, mix to combine. Sprinkle in the flour, mix in slowly, just until the flour disappears. Last but not least, fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf tin or muffin cups. If you’re making muffins, fill them 3/4 of the way. Bake the banana bread for 40-45 minutes, muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the tin from the oven and place it on a wire rack. Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully lift the loaf or muffins out and place them on a wire rack to cool completely (this will keep the muffins from becoming soggy).