Hey guys, I have an awesome low carb/low fat recipe for you that’s bursting with protein! It’s perfect if you’re cooking for 3-4 people or for your own meal prep. 🙂
- I used 11 smaller bell peppers (about 65g each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g 2% turkey mince (Tesco)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes (3 tomatoes)
- 1 small courgette (about 100g)
- 1 tbsp hot paprika or chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 100g protein cheese
- Optional: salsa for topping.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Meanwhile, prepare the peppers: wash, cut the tops off, and remove the seeds. If your bell peppers are a little bit wonky, cut a small slice off the bottom of the pepper so it would stand upright. Alternatively, simply cut them in half. Place on a baking tray covered in foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Once ready, pour out any water from inside the peppers.
- While the peppers are in the oven, it’s time to prepare the turkey mix. By this point, you want to have all ingredients chopped and at the ready. Add oil to a pan, heat over medium heat and add turkey. Cook, stirring and breaking up the mince regularly. Halfway through, add chopped onion and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Time to stir in the chopped mushrooms, tomatoes and courgettes. Season with hot paprika (or chili powder), cumin, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes stirring a few times. Then fill each pepper with the turkey mixture and top with protein cheese and pop in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve with your favourite steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
Inspiration from The Real Food Dieticians.